- The first year sucks but you'll find Jess, Judith, Jeneil, Pixie and Tanya. They get you through it.
- Some people disappear. Some come back but many do not. You make new friends though.
- D. sticks by you. She gets Boy Wonder. She remembers this day every year and makes sure to call you.
- That there's always room in the rabbit hole for just one more and there's always a hand to pull you out.
- Big Daddy goes to every meeting concerning Boy Wonder. EVERY MEETING. You never face the firing squad alone.
- When the doctor said BW would never talk, HE WAS WRONG.
- When he said he would never show love, HE WAS WRONG.
- When he said he'd never initiate play, HE WAS WRONG.
- The baby, you're carrying, THE DIVA, she's fine.
- And the Surprise, Sweet Baby Girl who comes along just 22 months after THE DIVA, she's fine, too.
- You'll finish a marathon in Boy Wonder's honor and his buddies from across town and across the country.
- You find the village. The sister mamas. The ones who tell you and who you tell when things go awry, you'll make it ok.
Wednesday, November 9, 2011
You'll Make It Ok
4 years ago today, at 2 years 1 month and 5 days old, Boy Wonder was diagnosed with autism. When we left for the doctor's office that day, we weren't expecting to hear those words. It was the first time I ever felt real fear and sorrow. I remember crying hysterically and the doctor telling Big Daddy," She needs to get herself under control before she hurts herself and the baby she's carrying." These are the things I wish I knew the first year.